Epilepsy is one of the top-ten causes of early death. Sudden Unexpected Death in Epilepsy or SUDEP can often be traumatic for families and distressing for professionals, all of whom have questions.
At SUDEP Action, we focus our efforts on the priorities that bereaved families tell us are important:
• To prevent deaths
• To be supported
• To be involved
We have won national and international honours for our achievements to date, but we recognise there is much more work to do.
There are five key strands to our work:
• Providing information on SUDEP and risk in epilepsy
• Offering support when someone has died
• Involving people to help effect change
• Sponsoring research and education to prevent future deaths
• Capturing data across the UK & internationally through the Epilepsy Deaths Register